Passenger and vehicle traffic safety
Both the movement of people and vehicles on a plant site, in a factory hall, on a construction site and on the public road and rail network are associated with risks. The concept aims to prevent accidents and ensure the safety of people and goods.
Passenger and vehicle traffic: the essentials in brief
- It is about ensuring the safety of passenger and vehicle traffic, minimizing risks in the company and ensuring the safety of people and goods.
- Prevention includes the creation of safe traffic environments through the disentanglement of traffic axes (access regulations, zoning and sector formation through markings, time restrictions, signaling and regulations regarding movement zones and access authorizations).
- Then the appropriate infrastructure is planned and implemented (protective devices, security and surveillance systems, regulation and enforcement of behavior and traffic rules).
- Personal and vehicle safety includes aspects of health protection, fire protection of theft prevention and protection against property damage.
Why are passenger and vehicle traffic measures needed?
There are several reasons to develop an implementation plan to unbundle traffic areas and their accessibility to permittees:
- Protection of human lives: Accidents involving vehicles can be fatal or often result in serious injuries with permanent damage to those involved. Measures such as infrastructure development, regulation and enforcement of traffic rules, and investment in technology and traffic education can prevent accidents and protect human lives.
- Protection of goods and merchandise:In accidents, goods and merchandise can be damaged or destroyed. In open and freely accessible storage areas, theft or property damage can occur. By using monitoring systems and access restrictions, goods can be better protected.
- Increasing efficiency: Measures to ensure the safety of internal passenger and vehicle traffic also contribute to increasing efficiency in operations. Through the expansion of infrastructure and the regulation, enforcement and unbundling of passenger and vehicle traffic, processes can run more smoothly and quickly, leading to a reduction in delays and interruptions.
- Cost savings: Accidents, interruptions and delays in processes can be avoided if measures are taken to improve safety. In addition, the cost of medical treatment, staff absences and claims for damages can also be reduced by improved safety in operational traffic.
- Sustainability and compliance with environmental protection requirements: The storage of hazardous materials as well as leaking fuels and battery fires can lead to lasting damage to the environment, accordingly containment measures are to be provided.
What is passenger and vehicle traffic?
Passenger and vehicle traffic measures are aimed at various aspects of road safety:
- Infrastructure: For example, the creation of bicycle and pedestrian paths, the marking of free meeting areas, the construction of safety equipment such as bollard systems, ram guards, fall protection, parapets and railings.
- Traffic regulations: For example, the introduction of speed limits, overtaking bans or one-way traffic.
- Technology: For example, traffic control systems, interlock systems and automated barriers with number recognition and surveillance systems (CCTV systems).
- Education and training: Training and instruction of employees, drivers, cyclists and pedestrians to improve safety awareness and knowledge of behavior and movement rules and traffic safety.
- Controls and sanctions: For example, warnings, fines, revocation of access authorization or driving permit, prevention work and addressing misconduct (e.g. cell phone use while walking).
- Emergency management: For example, the constitution and training of emergency call systems and rescue services.
What does the concept for this include?
The implementation concept for passenger and vehicle traffic safety is part of the integral safety concept. It defines the partial steps of the implementation and schedules recurring targeted measures. The implementation concept includes the following aspects:
- Protection of people and goods: For example, the use of safety equipment such as seat belts, airbags, helmets, protective equipment and other safety measures.
- Response measures: In the event of an incident, rapid response measures are required to ensure the safety of people and goods. These include rescue and emergency services as well as damage control and recovery measures.
- Environmental protection: The containment of the spread (pollutants) is an essential aspect of the concept.
The implementation concept of people and vehicle traffic is not to be confused with a logistics concept, which regulates the flow of goods and the corresponding processes.
Who needs to deal with it?
Companies have an important role to play in improving internal personal and vehicle traffic safety. In this context, the key role is played by the security officer for fire and property protection. He ensures that often neglected aspects, such as intrusion protection, fire protection, driving authorizations, etc., are taken into account in the overall context. He is supported by the environmental protection officer.
How does SBIS support?
Passenger and vehicle traffic safety requires an integrated approach combining infrastructure, technology, regulation, traffic education and awareness, and response measures. Experienced SBIS staff will assist you with: