Pollutant Diagnostics Building Pollutants
Various building materials contain PCBs or PAHs, chemical compounds that are difficult to biodegrade and hazardous to health. Depending on the content, such materials may require extensive remediation.
Pollutant diagnostics building pollutants: The most important in brief
With a building pollutant diagnosis, properties are examined for building pollutants. After the on-site analysis, an expert report is prepared that indicates existing contamination and describes the type of remediation.
As the building owner, you are responsible for the safety and protection of the occupants. In the following cases, a building pollutant diagnosis of PCBs, PAHs and mold is useful:
- Purchase or sale of a property
- Conversion or renovation of a property
- Conducting deconstruction work
Why is there a need for pollutant diagnostics of building pollutants?
In principle, a pollutant clarification (building checks or, for a rough estimate, building screenings) must be made for all renovation and deconstruction projects of buildings that were constructed before 1990. It cannot be ruled out that these buildings contain pollutants such as asbestos, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).
If construction waste containing substances hazardous to the environment or health is generated, there is a reporting obligation.
The use of PCBs in open systems (e.g. joint sealants, paint and varnish) was banned in Switzerland in 1972. A general ban has been in place since 1986.
Who needs to deal with it?
Owners and operators of properties built before 1990
How does SBIS support?
Depending on the situation of the building inspection, we offer the following services:
- Inspection and examination of the premises and buildings
- Assessment and evaluation of the existing pollution
- Identification of possible measures for remediation
- Cause clarification
- Collection of material samples
- Indoor air measurements
- Analyses of the samples with laboratory report
- Creating a report with photo documentation
- Recommendation and monitoring of a remediation