Environmental management system according to ISO 14001
Rightly interested parties make demands on companies that affect the environment through their activities. ISO 14001 defines globally recognized criteria for an effective and efficient environmental management system.
Environmental management system ISO 14001: The most important in a nutshell
- A company proves with its ISO 14001 certificate that it has analyzed the environmental aspects of its activities and has taken measures to continuously improve its environmental performance.
- The ISO 14001 requires a systematic analysis of the environmental aspects of business activities. It requires that opportunities and risks are analyzed.
Why do we need an environmental management system according to ISO 14001?
- Through the application of this standard, the impact of business activities on the environment should be steadily reduced.
- In addition, it can help companies and organizations to comply with legal requirements and statutory regulations relating to environmental protection.
- An ISO 14001 management system can also help companies and organizations to work more effectively and productively. Resources are used in a targeted manner and processes are optimized.
- In addition, it can improve the reputation of companies and organizations. The company can use the certificate to prove that the company is constantly improving its environmental performance.
What is an environmental management system according to ISO 14001?
The ISO 14001 specifies the points that must be described in the system:
- Context of the organization: The environment of the company must be understood (market, culture, laws, etc.).
- Leadership: The leadership should be a credible role model for employees. It is responsible for ensuring that the required resources are available.
- Planning: Opportunities and risks should be identified. The environmental aspects of a company's activities should be identified and taken into account.
- Operation: The processes relating to environmental management are planned, implemented and controlled based on clear criteria.
- Evaluation of performance: The environmental performance of the organization is monitored, communicated and reviewed.
- Improvement: There is a continuous improvement process.
Which companies should be concerned with ISO 14001?
In principle, all companies and organizations can engage in an environmental management system according to ISO 14001 - regardless of their size, industry or location. The standard is suitable for all types of organizations that employ people and are committed to improving the environmental performance of their business processes.
The introduction of an ISO 14001 management system is particularly recommended for companies and organizations that operate in industries with a large environmental footprint. This is the case, for example, with energy-intensive companies and companies that handle environmentally hazardous substances. However, since all processes are screened, added value is generated for all ventures.
How does SBIS support?
If a management system already exists in your company (e.g. ISO 14001), we will support you in integrating the occupational safety management system so that duplications are avoided.
Make a non-binding request for the environmental management system according to ISO 14001